Hannah Arendt UPSC Political Science Study Material was prepared by Rajkumar Sir
for Political Science Optional Students at 2013. Raj Kumar Sir was an Ex-Manidhaneyam Faculty (I guess he is not working Manidhanaeyam now) who is a very good mentor for many of the UPSC aspirants. He got post graduation in Political Science at Delhi University.
Hannah Arendt UPSC Political Science Study Material Contains:
- Hannah Arendt’s Thoughts, Context and Influence
- Chronology of Hannah Arendt’s Works
- On Totalitarianism
- The Human Condition (or) Arendt’s Conception of Modernity
- On Revolution
- Thinking and Judging
- Arendt’s Conception of Citizenship
- Criticisms and Controversies
Objectives to read this Study Material:
- The Explanation for why Hannah Arendt is an important political thinker.
- For Basic Knowledge on Theories of Hannah Arendt.
- To know about her works.
- To Learn about her historical Background.
- To know about her perceptions.
Hannah Arendt is an important thinker for UPSC too so there were questions on her theories quite frequently. She is a foreign thinker and she is a citizen of United States of America but actually, a German who fled away from Germany in the times of Second World War as she was a jew where Anti-Semitism was followed by Adolf Hitler. Arendt have never written any books about all her theories, but her theories can only be understood by reading all her articles to newspapers, journals etc. and on summing up the articles we end up with theories on diverse topics like totalitarianism, revolution, the nature of freedom. Her basic theory is on separating Private sphere and Public sphere as political life and Politics from Human Activity. She will ask us to concentrate more on public sphere because it is more important than private sphere. She further divides private sphere and mentions biological activity which is cyclic and would waste most of our time in it.