As we know UPSC thrills us by giving vast Syllabus it is difficult to find all the information in just a single book. Many people would suggest TataMcGraw Hill Paper 1 (Tata McGraw Hill – GENERAL STUDIES MANUAL 2017 ) for General Studies Paper 1 and TataMcGraw Hill Paper 2 for CSAT Paper 2. Even though TataMCGraw Hill Paper 2 is more than enough for CSAT to get qualifying mark but TMH Paper 1 is not enough and if you want to be thorough with basics you have to go for standard textbooks. You need not read all NCERT books as it will take months to finish. I have mentioned important NCERT books to read, those books are mandatory. Extensive reading is not bad so read any other NCERT if you find that subject interesting. I have even listed some books for extensive reading apart from books for UPSC Prelims. Some of you may find easy to read as an E-Book and some may not. those who want to buy NCERT books as hardcopy Click here. If you can read e-copy then just download new NCERT books, Download Old NCERT books from the links. If you have any Additional information please share it by commenting on this post.
Books for UPSC Prelims:
- Which atlas is best Orient Blackswan school atlas or Oxford School atlas?
Oxford School Atlas.
- Old NCERT X, XI, XII – Download
Medieval India (Romila Thapar)
Modern India (Bipan Chandra)
- Moden India- Spectrum Publication (If you read this book you can skip Modern India NCERT)
- Struggle for Independence – Bipin Chandra
- Indian Polity – Lakshmikanth
- NCERT (IX – XII)
Political Science (Democratic Politics 1)
Political Science (Democratic Politics 2)
Political Science (Indian Constitution at Work)
Political Science (Political Theory)
- Indian Constitution for References
- An Introduction to the constitution of India – D.D. Basu (This book is for extensive reading only. It will be in a complicated language to read and hard to interpret. First, you have to be strong in basics to read this book. If you are a newbie just buy ‘Indian Polity – M Lakshmikanth’ )
- NCERT XII
Economics (Introductory Macro Economics)
Economics (Indian Economic Development)
- Indian Economy – Ramesh Singh
- Indian Economy Key Concepts – Shankar Ganesh [Best for Basic Understanding]
- Economic Survey
- NCERT X
- Science Reporter magazine
Above are not very important. You can cover this with current affairs.
- Buy General Studies for Civil Services Preliminary Examination Paper
- Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT <- Best buy for Aptitude Questions
Since CSAT was made to be just a qualifying paper you need to score just 33% which is very easy to obtain. anyhow if you want to do some practice read this book. it is always recommended to work out previous year question papers and model exams rather than simply memorizing formulas as UPSC will always concentrate on logical reasoning rather than quantitative aptitude. Try to solve CAT question papers then this will look very easy to solve(Recommended only for geeks).
Previous Year Question Papers:
- India After Gandhi – Ramachandra Guha
- Pax Indica – Sasi Tharoor
- The Argumentative Indian – Amartya Sen
- The Discovery of India- Jawaharlal Nehru
- Story of My Experiments with Truth – Mahatma Gandhi
- India Unbound – G. Das
- The Life of Mahatma Gandhi – Louis Fischer
- Imagining India – N. Nilekani
I’m mentioning 10’s of books because your taste may vary or some may have already read those books.
Where can I buy these Books?
P.S: The Buy links for all the books are affiliate links. If you buy books for UPSC prelims through these links it would be helpful for this blog.